Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Section 2: Emergency Preparedness: Natural and Human-Generated Disasters


Section 2: Emergency Preparedness: Natural and Human-Generated Disasters

Scenario 1
Tornado

     Around 11am storms start to develop in our area and by 12pm they have become stronger and
tornado warnings have been issued.  As the teacher, I keep checking weather reports and as I check
again the weather reporter is advising area residents to take cover.  Prior to this emergency we have
practiced tornado drills monthly so that the children would be ready in case of such an emergency. 
I inform the children that because of the weather we must do the tornado drill and head to a safe
place.  Because we have done this drill so many times previously they all know what to do and stay
calm through the process.  We head to the lowest floor (the basement) and the children then sit on
the floor lined against the south west part of the basement.  In the basement we keep an
emergency kit that contains a battery operated radio, flashlights, first aid kit, and water.  Keeping
the children calm is the most important thing once we have reached the safety of the basement.  In
order to do this, we sing songs and I have also brought several books to read to them.  I keep
checking my cell phone to see what is happening and see that a funnel cloud has been spotted close
to the school. The wind is very strong and we can hear things blowing around outside.  The lights
flicker then go out.  I immediately grab flashlights and hand them out to the other teachers.  The
children are becoming a little frightened so we continue to sing and do activities to take their minds
off of the weather.  We can then hear a very loud rumbling noise and things crashing around
outside.  I instruct the children to take the position of kneeling with their head down and their
hands over their heads.  As fast as the rumbling noise started, it has ended.  I check my phone and
am lucky enough to still have service.  I look at the weather report and see that a tornado has
touched down in our area but has now moved on.  I go up to the classroom to see if there is any
damage and we are very lucky that there is no structural damage but outside play equipment has
been damaged and several trees are down.  I instruct the other teachers to bring the children back
up and begin making calls to the parents to let them know that their children are fine.  The majority
of the parent want to come pick their children up immediately. I advise them to wait to make sure
the roads are safe to travel because of downed trees and power lines. After a couple hours the
parents are able to come pick up their children. I encourage the parents to tell their child what a
good job they did and to not talk about obsessively about the tornado so as not to scare the
children.


Scenario 2

Fire

     Today was baking day in the classroom and we were making muffins.  The children were all
gathered around the table each doing their jobs. Some were measuring, some were mixing, and
others were putting things away. Our first batch of muffins were ready to go into the oven. After I
put the muffins in the oven we began clean up.  As we were cleaning I could hear a sizzling noise but
couldn’t find where it was coming from.  Then several of us began to smell something burning. I
went to check the muffins and then saw smoke coming from the back of the stove then suddenly a
flicker of flames.  I instructed my teachers assistant sound the fire alarm and to get the children out
and once outside to call 911.  I located the fire extinguisher then turn off stove and began to dowse
the fire.  I then left the classroom and went outside to our meeting place. The aid had already taking
count to ensure everyone was there.  Prior to the fire, we had performed monthly fire drills.  We
taught the children to stay calm, line up, get outside and get to our meeting place.  The fire
department arrived and found that it was caused by an electrical short in the wall socket.  Power to
the socket was turned off the fire department gave us the all clear to continue with the day.  I let
the children go outside to play while I contacted parents to let them know what had happened.  All
parents felt comfortable leaving their children in school.  When the children came back in we talked
about what happened and I praised them for doing such a great job and remembering everything
they were supposed to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment